During the holiday season, providing healthy food options isn’t typically something many of us focus on. We tend to want to provide or offer something to our guests that tastes fabulous without focusing on calorie content. What if there was a way to incorporate healthy with great taste? Resveralife brings you a few hors d’oeuvres that give you the best of both worlds. The best part is, your guests will love them and never be able to tell they are less fat and less calories as they don’t lack in flavor or taste.
Cheese and Fruit Bites
The accompaniment of fruit and cheese is a timeless classic. Serve with wine for the perfect touch. Super easy and quick to make, you can make a couple of trays in no time. With only 26 calories and 1 gram of fat, you simply cannot go wrong with this delicious concoction.
- 1 Lb. Red seedless grape
- Reggiano Parmigiano cheese wedge
- Festive foil tin cups (think baking cups)
1. Halve all of the grapes.
2. Break cheese wedge into small chunks
3. Place two grape halves and a small chunk of cheese into the foil cups and place on a festive tray for serving.
Grapes are a healthy fruit which contain resveratrol, which contains anti-aging properties that benefit the skin. There are also as many vitamins and minerals which are easily absorbed as well as a high fiber content. Reggiano Parmigiano cheese is also low in fat and calories. This is a great finger food for your guests, and will disappear quickly.
Crab meat is a delicious and protein filled shellfish which is enjoyed by many people. Be sure to make sure none of your guests have any shellfish allergies before incorporating this into the menu. These delicate crab meat cups offer a delicious taste of something elegant with only 46 calories per cup.
- ½ lb jumbo lump crab meat
- 1 container of phyllo dough shells
- Lemon mayonnaise
- 1 avocado
- Watercress leaves for garnish
- Divide the crab meat between all of the phyllo shells.
- Add ½ teaspoon of the lemon mayonnaise as a topper to the crabmeat in all shells.
- Place a small cube of avocado into each shell, and top with a small watercress leaf.
Simple and easy to make in three steps, these crabmeat cups are a surefire way to impress your guests and keep them talking.
While not everyone is a fan of peas, this pea crostini is sure to change their minds. Delicious and hearty with only a few minimal ingredients, these are sure to fly off the serving trays – and the best part? They contain a minimal 35 calories and 3 grams of fat. You can double the recipe to feed more people.
- 1 ½ Cups Frozen Peas (thawed)
- 2 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 30 Crostini
- Goat Cheese
- Blend first 3 ingredients in a food processor until smooth. Spread 8 oz. of goat cheese on crostini, followed by a spoonful of the pea mixture. Top off with a small slice of watermelon or beets for a pop of flavor.
Peas, although small in size, pack a major punch in terms of protein, fiber, and micronutrients. They also contain polyphenols, which aid in the prevention of certain types of cancer. Extra virgin olive oil, and any olive oil for that matter, is good for moisturizing and hydrating the skin. This is a great accompaniment to your Hors D’oeurves spread.
Try one of these simple, healthy, and delicious recipes for your next gathering or party, and you’re sure to please.